I am an elementary school teacher, specializing in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages. I have found Chess to be an amazing classroom tool, especially for students learning English as an additional language, as even the student with the weakest language skills can be a Chess Champion!
Chess is also a great way to talk to students about strategies and planning ahead. It involves problem solving and higher level thinking, and students who develop these skills playing chess find that they can easily apply them to other subjects.
Chess also motivates students to focus. I have had many students with very short attention spans, or hyperactivity or attention difficulties, but they could still play chess, and by reminding them of the strategies they used for paying attention to their chess games, I could help them develop their attention span and get more out of their time at school.
Most of all, chess is fun so students really enjoy it! My students would reward themselves for finishing their work by playing chess games and always considered it a special treat!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment