As it is clear that every move counts in chess, it also holds true that every decision counts in life. The decision to promote chess and its role in education can not be overstated. I was lucky to find chess or more whimsically stated it found me a great many years ago, and ever since I embraced this chance meeting.
I learned how the pieces moved by watching a friend play chess in my elementary school cafeteria, but I excelled under the mentorship of the late Gus Gosselin who dedicated himself to the game he so dearly loved. Under his guidance I learned about self-empowerment that chess is the great equalizer. Regardless of you or your opponent's socio-economical status you have the opportunity to apply yourself, and succeed. Chess levels the playing field so that we can follow our hearts content, our imagination, utilize our knowledge, and decision-making skills. Although I learned many lessons over the board it is predominately off the board that I have applied it's lessons, especially in determining my vocation and future aspirations.
Nowadays, I fervently strive to inspire children in schools through the game of chess. Teaching many of the lessons I learned. Coaching children to embrace their ability to determine their own future regardless of their proverbial station in life. I volunteer my time in inner-city schools, where many children may not have as great of an access to the game or tutelage. Chess has only benefited each and every child. They look forward to staying after-school oddly as this seems. They are even taking pride and joy in learning, through delivering pins, skewers, forks, and checkmates. They are learning the application of knowledge. I can speak volumes of how chess has positively impacted all these children. As such I implore those who have even felt even a fraction of chess innumerable benefits to promote chess in education.
Monday, March 24, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment