Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Using chess in math

Hello,

I teach high school math as well as chess at my school, Forest Charter School. Some ways I use chess in my math class are:

1) Introduce how a Knight moves on a chessboard then ask how to calculate (without moving the piece) how many possible squares can the piece move in the corner, side and center. Have students check thier calculations by testing them.

2) Play the Knight Tour game. A Knight tour is where a knight needs to visit each square of a chessboard. Ask students what is the fewest possible moves it would take? Then have students play the game in teams, one counting moves and the other making the moves. Have teams compete to complete the tour with the fewest possible moves. After the teams have completed the tour, ask about the best (optimal) strategy that might be used. Play the game again using the strategy.

These are just a couple of activities I use.

-- Steve

No comments: