Friday, September 14, 2007

New Chess Club at Nevada Elementary School

I am a parent co-sponsoring (with a teacher) a chess club at my children's elementary school. We have about 45 memebers from Kindergarten through 5th grade, about half beginners and about half players. We have four or five who are already strong players and many who are intensely interested and are quickly picking up the game. We know that the academic benefits are many and great, and we also look forward to seeing these kids develop a lot of personal skills (such as planning ahead, action and consequence, chess etiquette, etc.). I think the most interesting aspect is purely social, though. I enjoy seeing a Kindergartener show a fourth-grader how to castle, watching as a more tentative kid speaks up and surprises some of the chatterboxes, etc. I am hoping to find some specific chess, chess/academic, and chess/life lesson material here to share with the group and with the classroom teachers at the school. Thank you for providing this resource.

1 comment:

chessteacher said...

Lisa, try http://www.nevadachess.org/

Also, http://www.thechessacademy.org/Resources_for_Educators.htm

Email me at chessteacher@comcast.net for more information.

John